Dental implants mean the latest technology for replacing solo missing teeth.
Why are dental implants the most beneficial for replacing missing teeth?
- It is fixed and stable. The crown is not removable.
- As comfortable as a real tooth;
- Masticatory functions are restored;
- Naturally esthetic results;
- Implants preserve the surrounding tooth material; stops or slows down atrophy;
- The adjacent teeth remain intact – unlike in the case of ordinary bridges;
- It is a proven technology used since the 1960’s. Durable solution – an implant crown lasts for at least 10-15 years.
What are the disadvantages?
- Involves surgery. To put 1-2 implants it lasts less than 30 minutes and is painless.
- Waiting period of about 5 months for complete integration of the implant in the bone. During this period the patient wears a temporary prosthesis, usually removable.
Constitution of a dental implant
A dental implant is an artificial root used to replace the root of the missing tooth. The implant is not the tooth itself. This often leads to misunderstandings: some surgeries make offers that include only the implant, without the abutment and the crown.
The implant head has a threaded female part that can connect it to the pillar (abutment). The pillar is used to support the crown.
Screw retained versus cemented implant crown
Crown sealed (glued) on implant: the crown is cemented on the implant abutment.
- Advantages: it is possible to realise this solution in most cases. There is no hole on the surface of the crown (because it does not have fixing screws). It costs less.
- Disadvantages: if necessary, it is not always possible to remove the crown without destroying it. If it has to be repaired, a new crown is made.
Screw retained implant crown
A crown is screwed onto the implant. In the centre of the implant there is a thread for screwing the prosthetic components.
- Advantages: the crown is easy to unscrew and so can, if necessary, be repaired
- Disadvantages: more expensive solution, than the cemented one. Not appropriate in all cases. The screw mounting holes may cause slight aesthetic problems, even if they are filled with an aesthetic composite material.
Get a free treatment plan online!
I WOULD LIKE TO GET A QUOTE TODAY >>